Are you looking for screenshot tools that can do more that just capturing images of the screen? If so, then you are at the right place.
While working on computers, browsing the web we take important notes from the screen. Typing them down is time consuming so we depend on taking screenshots a lot.
Screen capture software or tool allows you to quickly capture screenshots of a selected area in your computer screen that can be saved as a graphics file.
While majority of the operating systems come with integrated screen capturing feature for taking screenshots. But for the advanced functionalities, you would need the assistance of a third-party screenshot app that will let you edit your images on a broader level.
What factors to consider selecting the best screenshot tools?
A good screenshot software should be easy to use whether you’re a newbie or an experienced user. You should consider the following factors before selecting a screen capture software.
- Fast Screen Capture
- Easy to Use and requires less click
- Built-in captured image editor
How to take a screenshot on Windows?
If you need to capture a screenshot on your computer, Windows offers a variety of methods for doing just that.
- Select the Start, enter snipping tool, then select Snipping Tool from the results.
- Press PrtScr and open the Paint tool, press Ctrl + V, or click on Paste at the top left in the tool and save it. This will paste the entire screen into the paint tool.
- Press Windows key + Shift + S, then you can drag and select the portion of the screen you want to capture and open the Paint tool, press Ctrl + V, or click on Paste and save it.
- Press Windows key + PrtScr. This will save the entire screen as the image file, which you can find in the Screenshots subfolder under the Pictures folder
Best Screenshot Tools in the list
In this article we will look at some of the most feature heavy screenshot software that will take your experience to a whole new level. These tools allow you to take awesome screenshot for free along with some paid options if you would like to try out premium features.
The very first software in our list of screenshot tools is Sharex.
ShareX is a free and open source screenshot software that works mainly as a file uploader. Unlike many other screenshot tools It comes in a very small size, a little more than 5 MB. It supports an endless number of services for you to check out.
Some of the most important features of ShareX includes,
- Various capture modes: ShareX offers a quick and hassle-free option for you to take awesome screenshot of any window, region or the full screen.
- Video Recorder: You can also record your screen and save file as video or GIF.
- Image Editor: A built-in image editor allows you to edit your screenshots. So there is no need to use additional software for editing.
- Easy Screen Capture and Sharing: You can share your screenshots, videos or GIFs that you have captured with an automatic upload option that uploads them online instantaneously and copies their link to your clipboard.
- Various Upload Options: Options available for uploading your screenshots or recorded videos to more than 80 different hosting services such as Google Drive, Mega, FTP, Pastebin, Dropbox etc.
Among its other useful features there are, capturing screenshots with annotation besides automation which allows strong workflows, converting to PNG format, deleting the background to make a transparent version of the images.
Another good recommendation in our list of free screenshot tools is Greenshot.
Greenshot is a free and open source screen grabber tool offering a classic user interface that makes it very user-friendly and very simple to use. It is very lightweight only a little below 2MB size. One of the major features includes the function to freeze the screen while you are capturing. That means, when you enter the capture mode, content on the screen is saved in the same way prior capturing.
Some other key features include,
- Quickly take screenshots of a selected window, region or fullscreen; you can also capture complete a web page while scrolling down from Internet Explorer.
- Easy to highlight, annotate or obfuscate parts of the screenshot.
- Export screenshots in several ways: save to a file, copy to clipboard, send to printer, attach it to e-mail, send to Office programs or upload to sites like Picasa, Flickr etc.
Greenshot is quite simple to get used to and easily configurable. It is an efficient screenshot app for software developers, project managers, technical writers, testers and anyone else trying to tinker with their screenshots.
A very straightforward and user friendly tool in our list of free screenshot tools is Grabilla. It is a quite simple and fast screenshot app.
With Grabilla you can,
- Capture screen and scroll capture documents.
- Record desktop actions in a video form along with voice comments and instantly upload them to their image hosting server.
- Record animated GIFs for up to 10 seconds.
- Upload images, videos and files directly to their website.
- Create special short links and QR codes to share your screenshots, GIFs and videos.
Give this screen grabber tool a go and check out the features.
Next in our list of screenshot tools is TinyTake. This is is a powerful tool created by MangoApps. It includes both free and paid plans. the free option comes with limited functions but is worth giving a try. You can check out the paid plan if you want at any time.
Top features of TinyTake offers
- Capture and Annotate Images: Take a screenshot of a region, window, or full screen and annotate it with a text box, arrow, or highlighter. Additionally you can drag and drop any image from your local drive for annotation.
- Capture and Annotate Videos: TinyTake also offers screen recording capability. You can record screen for up to 2 hours depending the subscription plan.
- Bulk File Sharing: Free plan offers you 2 GB of storage which you can use to store your screenshots and videos and share them at any time. Paid plans offer more storage options should you choose to upgrade to one.
- In-built Viewer for Standard File Types: With TinyTake viewer you can view images, play videos, read office documents, and PDFs directly in the browser – with no additional software required to use.
- Directly Upload Videos Captured to YouTube: TinyTake allows you to upload your videos and presentations easily on to YouTube.
- Long Term Storage with Online Gallery: Access all your uploaded and shared screenshots and captured videos from anywhere on the internet.
With all the features mentioned above this screenshot app is a gem of a tool for you to try out.
Last but not the least, PicPick, a feature heavy option in our list of screenshot tools. If you are looking for a user-friendly app that is rich in functionalities, then PicPick is the must have screen grabber tool for you.
Along with helping you capture and edit screenshots, it is well known for the host of editing features that all come packed with it.
PicPick features include,
- Capture anything: Take screenshots of an entire screen, an active window, the scrolling windows in short any specific part of your desktop.
- Enhance with effects: Easily add effects to your images such as drop shadows, frames, watermarks, mosaic, motion blur, brightness control and many more.
- Graphic Accessories: Various graphic design accessories including color picker, color palette, pixel ruler, protractor, crosshair, magnifier, whiteboard etc.
- Edit your images: Annotate and highlight your images with ease. Add texts, arrows, shapes and more with the built-in image editor that includes the latest Ribbon style menu.
- Customizable setting: With highly advanced settings, you can customize hotkeys, file naming, image quality, and many other options that suits your taste.
- Share everywhere: Save, share, or send your images through Web, email, ftp, Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive, Box, Evernote, Facebook, Twitter and more.
This feature packed screenshot software comes in both free and paid options. Paid plan starts from $29.99. Checkout this awesome screenshot tool, it will be worth your while.
We tried to cover the tools with features that may pique your interest and meet your needs at best for taking awesome screenshot. Some of them offers paid plans if you want to go ahead with the purchases for premium functionalities. Checkout these awesome screenshot tools and do not forget to give your feedback and comment below.